The League of Women Voters of Florida is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Interns who volunteer their time are a key part of the League and can benefit by gaining valuable experience in a nonprofit organization or by receiving a letter of recommendation. All of our Tallahassee internships are unpaid, but the experience that you will receive as a result of interning will certainly improve your employment chances in the future.
The League is always accepting applications for new interns in Tallahassee. For more information, or to apply, please contact us. As an LWVF intern, you will gain experience in the following areas:
- Website Maintenance, E-Organization and Database Support: Assist in the maintenance and updating of the League’s website using the League’s established policies and help increase the League’s social media presence via websites like Facebook and Twitter. Also, assist in the management of the League’s databases and preparation of requested management reports.
- Observer Corps and Local Advocate: There are some opportunities to attend, as an observer, meetings of government entities, boards, commissions, etc., in which LWVF has particular interest. Interns will also have the opportunity to attend committee meetings on behalf of LWVF at the Capitol.
- Communications and Media: Assist in editing the League newsletter The Florida Voter and regular email updates. Also, work to draft and send out member communications via mail and email, as well as create press releases to local news outlets regarding upcoming community events and local meetings that the League facilitates.
- Event Planning: Assist in the planning, coordination and execution of League events, including fundraising galas, meetings, press conferences, conventions and seminars. Work with the Event Planner, Office Manager and Executive Director to ensure all League events are successful.
- Voter Registration and Education: Interns will be asked to help with the League’s voter registration and education efforts, including working with local League members to register new voters and assist with the creation of educational information such as voter guides and candidate questionnaires.