League In The News
Judge Lewis skeptical of fixing district maps now
July 24, 2014
Voting rights groups say 2014 election needs a new constitutional map
July 24, 2014
Fair Districts group proposes to break up Corrine Brown’s district, threatens further legal action
July 23, 2014
Saving Democracy in Florida
July 22, 2014
The New Yorker
Legal battle looms over Florida congressional districts
July 21, 2014
League Files Supplemental Response in Redistricting Case
The League of Women Voters of Florida is currently involved, as a plaintiff, in Romo v. Detzner, a case challenging the congressional maps enacted by the state Legislature in 2012. On July 28, 2014, the League of Women Voters of Florida filed this supplemental response in Leon County's 2nd Judicial Circuit Court.
Nine Reasons to Join Today!
LWVF is on the move, and your voice is needed to keep up the fight for a better Florida!
Here’s a brief list of the League's most recent accomplishments:
1. Participated in a lawsuit that blocked the state of Florida's attempts to illegally purge registered voters 90 days before an election.
2. Reduced gerrymandering by leading the charge for the Fair Districts amendments, which finally set clear rules for drawing political districts, and were voted into the Florida Constitution by 63% of voters.
3. Eliminated roadblocks to voting by demanding that the Legislature reinstate early voting days and the Sunday before Election Day, following the incredible delays, including 8-hour long lines in Miami, that voters faced during Election Day 2012.
4. Struck down unconstitutional restrictions on voter registration via a precedent-setting victory in U.S. federal court.
5. Helped place Florida's Water and Land Legacy Amendment on the November 2014 general election ballot; our members collected over 25,000 signed petitions throughout the state of Florida.
6. Lead the push for SUNRAIL -- Central Florida's new commuter rail network.
7. Initiated curbside recycling in St. Petersburg, as well as permission for citizens to speak in Orange County Commission meetings.
8. Successfully persuaded Florida voters to defeat 9 out of 11 amendments on the 2012 ballot, many of which would have severely eroded the rights of citizens and/or de-funded local governments.
9. Worked with statewide environmental groups to successfully pressure the Florida Department of Environmental Protection to halt the sale of state-owned conservation lands.
@LWVFloridaTweets by @LWVFlorida